Search This Blog

Headline News---Reflections and Sermons Blog

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Memories of Paul Hawthorne---

Years ago when I was in grade school, 8th grade, I sat on the isle next to the windows, and just to the right of the unabridged Wester dictionary. Yes. It has been a while since that dictionary was the total resource for learning beyond books. Right behind me sat one of my best friends---Paul Hawthorne.

We served at Mass together and played hockey down at the old Wildwood park area as you come into Mahtomedi. In the 1920's it had been where the ferris wheel was located, and as we skated, we could still see the pillars below the ice that had supported the giant ferris wheel---or at least we thought so.

Paul was often absent from school in those days. Mostly I remember how quiet and friendly he was. Sister Bernadine, our teacher, once said that Paul was having some health issues, and that we should all pray for him.

Then in March, I got the call. His sisters were having a special birthday party for Paul. He was turning 13. I offered to bring my short course golf flags and make a couple of holes to try out our skill. The sisters were going to have bowling downstairs in a makeshift bowling lane. And there was also ping pong. And there would be lots to eat. Saturday could not come soon enough.

The party started at 10am. Everyone from my class was there. It was the greatest party I had ever been to. Golf....bowling...ping pong....laughs...and everybody seemed to get along...and we all wished the party could go on forever.

Finally at 6PM, I headed home. Totally exhausted.

Two weeks later Sister Bernadine began class and quietly told us that Paul Hawthorne had died last night. From Hogskins Disease. It seemed it was a type of leukemia. Sister said that we would keep his desk empty the rest of the year in his memory.

Years ago, at the class reunion of 1996, a woman approached me and introduced herself. She said " Do you remember the party for Paul Hawthorne? I am his little sister."

"I sure do remember," I said. "And the courage and quiet strength of Paul during those days is something that has given me strength in difficult times. I will never forget."

No comments: