Search This Blog

Headline News---Reflections and Sermons Blog

Thursday, December 13, 2007

"It is More than the Bricks that you Seek".....


Recently our town restored the brick street downtown, in an effort to revitalize the downtown business district.

On the way back from the ceremony of dedication, I happened to bump into a local historian and we chatted for a while. She asked me how I liked bricks. I mentioned that while I was a history major and indeed had specialized in the period of 1900 to 1930, and loved the homes, and indeed lived in one built in 1912 just identical to the one my grandpa had built himself in 1912, with the hardwood floors and such, I still felt that folks were really being nostalgic for something larger.

"What?" she asked.

"Well," I went on, in the days before World War I, there was a connectedness of small communities-----yes there is a size factor------and when folks remember the time of the bricked streets, it is really that close community that they miss. It was a real time once-----and only the bricks remain of it now.

No comments: