Search This Blog

Headline News---Reflections and Sermons Blog

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Courage to Be...the book...and the reality

Back in 1965...as a sophomore at the University of Minnesota, I took a humanities course, and in one brief semester was reading all at the same time, "The Courage to Be" by Ivan Illich, "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse, and "The Art of Zen" by Alan Watts....all I can say in recap, is that it was quite a semester....

Later, I got a little life lesson on how to merge all three books in real time..in real life...as my college friends went on their special chosen paths, and our lives separated...and I made choices that I needed to make....to define my self...

I always have treasured that semester at the University of Minnesota...and went on a little expedition in Zen and in Herman Hesse to see what I could find.

No comments: