Search This Blog

Headline News---Reflections and Sermons Blog

Saturday, March 29, 2014

"Thank God for your Problems": Memories of Don Sheehan; 1982

1982 was one of the worst of all years...it hearkened back to 1929...and interest rates were sky high....and I had decided to start a business...how astute was that? anyway...one Saturday morning I enrolled to attend a seminar by Don Sheehan, a famous Dale Carnegie salesman...and the seminar was held in St. Paul at the Village Buffet near Snelling and University...I was really looking for some sage advice that would be helpful.

After a short intro, we had a coffee break and I met the other business owners, maybe 20 or so...and they were all over 30, and all facing some business life or death decisions...all were looking for guidance...

Then we started the first session...Don Sheehan called it "Thank God for your problems."
Don began by noting that all those attending were facing problems...and then asked whether we knew of a place where there were no problems...nobody answered...then he said" At 30th and Lyndale in Minneapolis is a spot with no problems.".....silence in the room as the seminar attendees looked at each other in amazement and wonder....then one guy said...."Isn't that Calvary Cemetary?".....

"YES", Don Sheehan replied...and everybody in that cemetery has NO problems..."

I was just a little stunned..and at first thought, I pondered that maybe I had spent the seminar fee in vain....

"Because you are alive and kicking..you face problems...and every day you should be kneeling down and thanking God for your problems, cause...if you look around you for just a few minutes, you will see a whole world of folks that have larger problems than yourself...so


"Thank God for your problems"...

and be confident that the Lord will give you the strength to face them.

I was just a little shocked...and imagine when I went home and told my wife that we should be thankful for our problems...ya .....she was shocked too...but after 30 years or so, I can still remember how stunning that seminar segment was, and how much it helped me....

Thanks Don..

No comments: