Search This Blog

Headline News---Reflections and Sermons Blog

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

A bit about "Nurture" and "Launch"

In the early days when my wife and I visited other couples with kids, it was common to hear couples recite the exploits of their kids...and I would assert that every parent from the moment of his childs birth, believes that his or her child is the finest thing that the world has ever produced...that kind of devotion and dedication and well..bonding...goes with the territory... I guess we could call the first 18 years or so, "the nurture years", when in order to be the best parent one would like to produce the best child, and yes...do it in better style than ones parents did...yes...a little generational rivalry...all in good spirit of improvement... Then the graduation...and I well remember the whooplala that I made of the first two daughters...I thought it necessary for members of the family that had a band to show up and produce a complete extravaganza...and of course it was necessary for my wife and I to redecorate the house completely...just for the graduation mind you...If I had been more savvy I would have known that launching takes a decade or so..and to save some energy....the kids are your kids and need you till the end....and being a parent never ends... Then comes the "Launch" or the launch to college, and then the launch to the work world....The nurture period takes "love" but the "Launch" takes Love and Faith...Of the two...I would assert that "Launch" is harder...cause it means having faith that you did a good job, and can let go...faith that you have instilled the independence and wisdom to your child that they do not need micromanaging any more...but know how to be themselves...yes...it is harder...and painful... I know: the Sermon on the Mount did not cover "Launch": Trust me...HE would have said it best..."Of all these, "Launch is the hardest".

No comments: