Search This Blog

Headline News---Reflections and Sermons Blog

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

"Reflection---Pennywise .....Pound foolish"--a true story

Penny Wise, Pound Foolish; or, The Story of the Red Duster--a true story

Some years back, when my wife and I were first married, she drove a bright red Plymouth Duster. It was a great running car. It was the only car she had ever bought new.

As newlyweds, we were lucky to move into a recently bought home. I thought of myself as a pretty shrewd budgeter, but even with penny pinching, the budget was tight. During the first winter, one of the coldest in Minnesota history, we noticed that the radiator was leaking in that little red Duster. The problem of course----we did not have anything in the auto repair budget, and I naturally thought we could delay.... At least til next month.... After all.... Antifreeze was pretty cheap in those days. It was important to be on budget.... And tough minded.

Ah the folly of youth. Ah the learning curve etc.

The engine seized up and froze. Total loss.

Thus. In reviewing a budget, the key thing is to remember what the mission is. To focus. Not on just the pennies, but the big picture. The lesson of the Duster is one that I have been constantly reminded of--by my wife. And a lesson I have learned from. Yes. Even the Observer could learn these things.

And yes. When you review the effort of the Evansville School District to eliminate the Half Day Kindergarten?

Think of that little Red Duster. Focus on the mission.

No comments: