Search This Blog

Headline News---Reflections and Sermons Blog

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

"Focus"

"Focus"

Recently the Observer did a bit of garage saleing and happend to find a new set of car mats with the large word "FOCUS" on them. Even though my daughter will be driving a Dodge K-car, I thought it a wonderful nurturing idea that with this little reminder of her father to look at each time she entered her car, she might be very focused on the responsibilties of driving.
]
So---it is with some embarassment that I admit losing FOCUS during the recent school board meeting in Evansville on Monday night.

Right after the discussion of the 4K Kindergarten, breathing a deep sigh of relief that my recording seemed to be good, I was so surprised by a request by School administration that I was speechless. I know this may be hard to imagine. Bear with me.

Administration asked the school board to allocate $5000 for travel and entertainment expenses to research the alternatives to the 4 period day. Keep in mind that for the 60 years or so prior to 1997 when the 4 period day was installed, we had the 7 period standard day in our schools.

Asking for travel and entertainment for this research was a little like a married person who was considering divorce to request travel and entertainment expenses to review what the bachelor life was like. Just because something might have changed that was worth reviewing..... Whoa.

So. It may be that the board was a little stunned by this request as well. I am not sure. However----I wanted to apologize for this lack of FOCUS on my part. I promise to do better in the future.

I would be willing to place the FOCUS car mats in the Lincoln for one week as a fit and proper punishment if my readers demand it. I think a week is long enough for me to get the message.

So--I am not sure whether the board approved this request or whether this is still on the table. I am on the job.

Stay tuned to The Evansville Observer for breaking news. Remember. We break the news other folks just write about.

No comments: