Search This Blog

Headline News---Reflections and Sermons Blog

Thursday, May 22, 2014

"I'm Sorry"---the most powerful words of all time

Many years ago, in 1968 when I began my first real job after college...I worked for an Insurance Company in Minneapolis as a Casualty Underwriter....those were the days when insurance policies were rated manually, and assembled manually, and one had to know all the endorsements that were neatly filed in the back room...anyway....this was my day job, and after work, I had a lot of catching up to do from all the years of heavy study during college...and I specifically remember some great bands that played at the Scotch Mist, a little pub on Nicollet Ave.

To put it mildly, I was burning the candle at both ends...and I remember one morning when I came to work, my boss stopped me and asked to talk, and went over several mistakes that I had made in rating some policies....In a heartbeat I knew what had gone wrong...I was so tired from all the night life that I had lost concentration...so I said QUICKLY: "I am so sorry...it will never happen again." And I made sure it never did..

Years later, my supervisor was my best reference for a wonderful job in Wisconsin....I know because the guy in Personnel said: "I don't know what you did back in Minn, but your boss certainly gave you glowing marks." I just smiled....I knew....I had used the most powerful words available.

No comments: