Search This Blog

Headline News---Reflections and Sermons Blog

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Answer on the First Ring

During the recent Christmas season, I had the pleasure of working some at a catalog firm that sells worldwide-----and after the training which was some of the best I have ever had on telephone sales, the rush of the season began.

From initial greeting to processing of the credit card for the typical sale, the call might last 3.5 minutes. As soon as the call is completed, another is ready. Pretty hard to imagine in these depressed times---but it was exciting for me to experience.

One of the mantras of the firm was "ANSWER ON THE FIRST RING"----Not only was this the rule, you were marked down on the audits of your calls if you ever answered on the second ring.

Callers would constantly say---" I am shocked that you answered the phone on the first ring. That is so unusual."

We live in a world that is unresponsive, distracted, and mostly blocking the reality before it. Truly answering is unusual.

Some years ago---a couple thousand, there was a psalm that went------"My plans for you are peace and not disaster. When you call me, I will answer you."

Kinda makes you wonder whether the old psalmist had some experience in telephone sales. Maybe just some experience in what is the ultimate in Responsiveness.

Anyway---try to answer on the first ring. Trust me. It's a challenge.

No comments: