Search This Blog

Headline News---Reflections and Sermons Blog

Sunday, October 12, 2008

"Faith is just for Old Guys"---a true story

Recently I have been working at a local catalog firm in the sales department for the Christmas season----and last week, I loaned one of the classic Evansville Observer pens to one of my co-workers when her pen ran dry.

A minute or so later, I saw her looking at the Observer site, and she exclaimed ,"Wow, you even have sermons on here---old guy stuff."

I just smiled. After pausing a moment, I replied:

"Ya. I guess so. And sometimes young guy stuff too. It depends."

Over the years I have always noticed how the youngsters get to Confirmation and then are never seen again---usually till their first born when they as new parents get a larger view of their position in the larger universe. The birth of a first born can do that.

Still. There is a decided slant in the demographics of modern churchgoers to the older ages.

Last week, as I reviewed the essentials of banking, and the highly leveraged world it is---I reflected on how much faith is the very building block of success of our banking system----and the loss of it is a very scary event.

The loss of faith last week has shaken the very world financial system, and I hope that those in leadership regain not only the faith of the everyday citizen, but I hope that they are worthy of that faith. We certainly need it. It ain't just for "old guys."

No comments: