Search This Blog

Headline News---Reflections and Sermons Blog

Thursday, May 29, 2008

I have Everything I need------a true story

Recently I bought a turntable so we could play some of those oldies and goodies from the 50's that I have stored in a stack in the carriage house. When I mention the stack, and ask friends where theirs is---they know excactly the spot. It probably has stayed untouched for a couple of decades.

As I sorted through the LP's, between my favorites, Johnney Rivers , Bob Dylan and such, I stacked hers and mine in separate stacks. After I had them all in order, I counted the big 5 vinyl records from my high school days----that is correct----five.

I then quickly went over and looked at the stack of cd's that I have accumulated---presto. I had added more than five in the past week. Many kids probably download more music in a day than we used to buy and collect in a year during the 60's.

I reflected on all of this as I was wandering my gaze while Nordic Tracking last week, and thinking of the huge job I faced in cleaning up my treasures of the past. I am not sure whether the sore muscles from Nordic Tracking or just the thought of all that heavy lifting, but I announced my new concept at the dinner table last night: " I have everything I need. Period."

Before you even think of trying that out in your family, be warned. It is an explosive concept.
My wife quickly spoke up. "Speak for yourself. I need the following items..............." Quite a list.

Suffice it to say we are still discussing my "problem" and considering a joint decision in the matter. However. It is clear to me that while the "War on Terror" and "Urban Sprawl" are big sized problems, as is the everypresent "Energy Crisis" ---- I would list the "Consumption Crisis" right up there with the best.

In fact. I would issue the challenge. Announce at dinner tonight that you need not buy another thing. See what happens.

You make the call.

No comments: